Last Updated on April 28, 2021 by admin
There is a bit difference between racquetball and Squash sport. They differ in terms of strategy, court equipment and in rules of playing.
Comparison: Racquetball Vs Squash | Racquetball Vs Tennis Sport
The following article deals extensively with the difference between racquetball and squash sport.
1. Racquetball vs Squash
Racquetball and Squash are played on a rectangular and enclosed courts, with racquets and ball. Both games use same equipment and same courts with minor differences. Let’s find out those slight differences between two seemingly similar games.
a). The Court
Both courts are the same in shape. Both courts are rectangular and enclosed with the help of 4 walls and a ceiling. But what makes their courts different is their measurement.
A racquetball court measures 20 feet wide, 20 feet high and 40 feet long. While a squash court is slightly smaller in width and length and height than a racquetball court and it measures 21 feet in width, 32 in length and 15 in height.
b). The Racket
Racquetball has larger courts, while squash has larger rackets. A squash racket is larger in the sense that it measures 27 inches in length. Conversely, a racquetball racket is roughly 22 inches in length. But racquetball rackets have larger heads as compared to squash. Larger heads are due to the larger ball that is used in racquetball.
c). The Ball
The balls used in both games are different from each other in two ways.
1. Size: The size of a racquetball is larger than a squash ball. Racquetball measures 6 cm in diameter, while a squash ball is 4 cm in diameter
2. Bounce: The racquetball ball is more bouncier than those of squash.
Note: Both the balls are made from rubber.
d). The Rules
This is an apparent difference between both games.
- In racquetball, players are allowed two chances while serving as it is done in tennis. While, in squash a player has only one attempt at his disposal.
- In racquetball, the server has to make the ball bounce on the surface before hitting it to the front wall. While, this rule is does not apply in squash.
- In racquetball, a player can hit any part of the court be it four walls or ceiling. While in squash, hitting ceiling is not permissible.
- In racquetball, a standard match consists of 2 games, that go on 15 points. In case a match gets tied, a game of 11 points is played to declared the winner. Additionally, no rule of winning a game with the margin of 2 clear points is applied in racquetball.
- On the other hand, a squash game can go up to 9 to 11 points. A game has to be won with two clear points as done in tennis and some other games.
Racquetball vs Tennis; Comparison
Racquetball differs from Tennis sport in varying ways. The following piece of writing discusses the difference between racquetball and tennis sport in terms of official rules, serving strategies, equipment and tactics of playing.
a). The Courts
The court of racquetball are rectangular as that of tennis. But they, unlike tennis, are enclosed with 4 walls. Tennis court is fairly larger than that of racquetball. It measures 78 feet by 39 feet. While racquetball court measures 20 feet wide, 20 feet high and 40 feet long.
Both games have indoor and outdoor courts. Tennis courts are made from clay, cement or grass. While racquetball courts are either wooden or cemented.
b). The Serve
There is one similarity in the serve of both games. In both games, the server is allowed second chance to serve if the first chance goes wrong. Other than that, there are many differences. They are:
In racquetball players do not stand in opposing direction. They just stand side by side and hit the shots to the front wall. There is no net in racquetball. While in tennis, players have to stand in opposing direction. They face each other and respond to the strokes that come from opposite side of the court, after crossing a middle fixed net.
c). The Rackets
Tennis and racquetball rackets have similar shape but different size. A tennis racket is larger with approximately 28 inches from one end to the last end. While a racket of the racquetball is, as per official rules, 22 inches form end to end.
A tennis racket does not come with a hand placer (a supportive band that helps in preventing the racket from slipping out of hand), while a racquetball racket comes with the hand placer.
d). Rubber Balls
Both games use hallow rubber balls featuring considerable bounce. Tennis ball is larger in size than a racquetball. A tennis ball is covered with fluffy wool and is normally yellow in color. While, a racquetball is not covered with any substance and is multi-colored, predominantly blue.
Scoring in Racquetball is simpler than that of tennis. In racquetball, a player can normally score on serving, while this does not apply on tennis. In racquetball, a match consists of 2 games with 15 points in each game. While in tennis, the number of points is 60.
In racquetball, the winner has to score 15 points before his opponent without leading by 2 clear points. On the other hand in tennis, one has to score 60 points before his opponent and must lead with 2 clear points.
Therefore, it is crystal clear from above mentioned detailed analysis the difference between racquetball, squash and tennis sport.